Glaisdale Moor


Without the relevant Ordnance Survey map you are unlikely to find any of the routes on this site or be able to find BOATs or other driveable lanes just by going out and looking for them. The Landranger maps are the recommended series to buy. They are large scale at 1:50 000 (2cm to 1km) and can be bought from the OS site at Ordnance Survey Shop for about £7 plus postage or at W H Smiths, Waterstones etc. You can of course buy them much cheaper using the internet. Dash4it sell them from £4.89 with free postage (July 2011).

Directions are given first by the sheet number followed by the grid letters and then by three figures (easting) then 3 figures (northing).

Map No OS Marks co-ordinates

The sheet number is the area covered by the map ie Map 119 is the Buxton & Matlock area. The grid letters can be found at the corners of the actual map, for map 119 the grid letters are SK. The first 3 figures are the 2 numbers along the top (or bottom) of the map followed by what can be thought of as a decimal point and then the 3rd number. The second 3 figures are the 2 numbers from the side of the map then the decimal point followed by the last number to give an exact position on the map. So using the above diagrams the position of Moortop farm would be listed as: OS Landranger Map 119 SK388784


I have copied the following definitions and arrow signs from Cambridgeshire County Council's excellent and very informative site at and I apologise if I am breaking any copyright held by them.



Footpaths for walkers are normally marked with a yellow arrow. You have the right to walk along a footpath with a normal accompaniment (e.g. a dog, a pram or a wheelchair). It is our understanding of the current law that you may not, however, wheel a bicycle along a footpath. You do not have the right to ride a bicycle, ride or lead a horse, or take a horse-drawn carriage along a footpath (this is a 'trespass' against the landowner). It is a criminal offence to drive a motor vehicle along a public footpath unless you have specific lawful authority.



Bridleways are for walkers, horse riders and cyclists and normally marked with a blue arrow.

You have the right to walk along a bridleway, to ride or lead a horse, and to ride a bicycle. It is possible that you may have a right to drive animals such as sheep or cattle as well. Please note that this does not include a right to drive a pony and trap.

Cyclists must give way to walkers and horse riders on a bridleway. It is a criminal offence to drive a motor vehicle along a bridleway unless you have specific lawful authority. You do not have the right to take a horse drawn vehicle along a bridleway.



Walkers, horse riders, cyclists, horse-drawn vehicles and motorised vehicles can use BOATs. They are normally marked with a red arrow.

The public have the same rights on BOATs as on surfaced country lanes. However, there is no legal obligation for a BOAT to be hard-surfaced. Vehicles using BOATs must be fully taxed, MOT'd and insured.

Access to some BOATS in motor vehicles is restricted to prevent surface damage. Restrictions may be seasonal or all year round.



Walkers, horse riders, cyclists and horse-drawn vehicles can use Restricted Byways. It is a criminal offence to drive a motor vehicle along a Restricted Byway unless you have specific lawful authority. They are normally marked with a purple arrow.

From the above information you can see that where the arrow system is used to indicate a right of way only the ones marked with a red arrow are driveable routes.


The 'Byway open to all traffic' sign erected by the local council is nice to see and gives a clear indication that motor vehicles are allowed to use it. Sadly few counties seem keen on erecting them.

Unsuitable for motors sign. Quite a common sign but often difficult to spot due to weathering or encroaching vegetation. Another clear way of letting you know that you are allowed to drive it but also worth noting that the road or lane may be labelled as unsuitable due to it's condition ie deep ruts or difficult rocky sections and not simply because it is an unsurfaced road. This sign is occasionally used to indicate the presence of a ford on the lane although if this is the case there is usually additional signage such as 'dead end' sign or even 'Ford'

A clearly marked BOAT around the quarry.

I don't think there are many of these signs around but Derbyshire police and the Peak District National Park are working hard to promote sensible greenlaning and deter illegal off roading.

Marked on the OS Landranger map with the vague 'Other route with public access' I was watching out for a sign to suggest it being designated as accessible to motor vehicles. The 7.5 ton weight restriction (I doubt you'd get anything that size through it) and the kindly warning about loose chippings and a maximum safe speed limit confirmed that it is indeed a green lane with vehicular access.

Yorkshire Dales sign with LARA (land access & recreational association) approval logo. LARA have prevented many traffic prohibition orders being made on green lanes in the Yorkshire Dales.

and finally....

This site uses tracking info for traffic analysis only

© 2011
Valid XHTML 1.1